Sharpening is very powerful and should be done at the very end of your editing process. One easy, yet powerful way to edit is to use the Smart Sharpen tool in Photoshop.
Here, I am using CS4 to edit a photo of a lovely couple.
I am finished with all of my edits, so I am now ready to sharpen the image for print.
To use the Smart Sharpen filter:
1. Be sure that all of your layers on the layers palette are flattened. You should be sharpening on just one layer.
2. Select Filter>Sharpen>Smart Sharpen.
3. A Smart Sharpen dialog box will pop up.
4, Here I am just using the default setting. You can play around with the settings to find the right amount of sharpening for your image, but the default setting works wonderful!
5. In the Remove menu, choose the type of sharpening that you’d like to achieve. I usually choose “Motion Blur”. “Motion Blur” will remove small amounts of motion blur that resulted from camera shake when you were taking the picture.
6. Play around with the radius to find the right amount of sharpening for your image. Remember, don’t oversharpen your image. Check that your subjects’ hair does not look crispy.
7. Click okay to apply the Smart Sharpen.
8. Now you have a perfectly sharpened photo!
To learn more about sharpening in detail, click HERE to see our Digital Darkroom Secrets Workshop 1. We will teach you the various ways to sharpen your photos to find one that works perfectly for you. We will also discuss edge sharpening and show you our favorite way to edit. In Workshop 1, you will learn the difference between sharpening for print and sharpening for the web. Our Workshop 1 is a great value and has over 17 videos with over 6 1/2 hours of video instruction where you can learn in the privacy of your very own home. Our workshops are all instantly downloadable, so you can begin to make amazing edits TODAY! To read more about our workshops and testimonials, click HERE.
To apply the perfect amount of sharpening to your image, click HERE to purchase our Secret Sharpen Action. This is the perfect solution for sharpening your photos. Just enough without over doing it! Make your photos look tack sharp with Secret Sharpen! Another must- have action that is perfect for the end of your workflow! We love to run this when we are done with our edits and it is perfect for batch sharpening as well! You will be hooked once you try it!